Friday, November 07, 2008

The World Around Me

I grew up never knowing how cool things would be when I was older. I just assumed that everything around me would be the same when I was older. The only difference is that I would be older, working, and possibly married. I never even thought for a second that we would have flying cars or dick tracy watches. And when I was younger God wasn't in my focus. Although a few prayers made me win 1st grade bingo three times in a row. I still remember the first time I thought about God. I was walking in the streets of Frankfurt and I found an old metal cross on the ground. This is a weird memory that always stuck. But back then the distractions were slim. Were the late 80's and early 90's less distracting than now?


I live in a world with many hobbies and time consuming toys.

I have great shows to watch like: The Office, Heroes, Family Guy, SNL, Football, Hockey, and the occasional TOP DESIGN.

I have great music to listen to: Radiohead, Pedro The Lion (David Bazan), Wilco, The Beatles, Neil Young.

I have great books to read: Yiddish Policemen's Union, How to be Good, The Watchmen.

I have great gadgets: Thanks to Steve Jobs, iMac, iPhone and lets not forget Blogger and Google Chat.

I have fun video games: Fable 2, The Force Unleashed, Halo 3.


I have everything to entertain me.

But do I remember the important things?

I have a roof over my head, running water, a beautiful loving wife, food.

And do I remember the most important thing that I often neglect.

GOD.


Every day is a challenge to remember to put down material things and spend time with God our creator. My relationship with Jesus Christ has to be the most important thing in my life. And when it is not, it is noticed.

We all need to remember to put aside our material things, are material lives, are material views, and remember that there is something much bigger in this life. There are questions much more important worth asking and researching.

I must set aside my material life for what really matters. My worship, relational spiritual life with Jesus Christ.

No comments: